BRODICK CASTLE

Brodick Castle is familiar to many in Scotland and not just visitors and locals on the Isle of Arran. The Royal Bank of Scotland has the castle’s image printed on their £20 notes.

There has been a fortress on the site dating back from the early fifth century. It was rebuilt in part by the Earl of Arran and in later years was a seat of the Dukes of Hamilton. But it is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland who acquired it from the Lady Jean Fforde in 1958 in lieu of death duties upon the death of her mother, the Dowager Duchess of Montrose.

This forward facing elevation of the castle looking upwards from its gardens reveals the stone steps by which one approaches the stronghold. The ivy on the walls of the castle was a feature from decades ago and is in direct contrast to the red sandstone brick. From this angle you can clearly see the parts of the castle that have been extended over the years and which help make this the familiar edifice it is today.

Parked in front of the castle just visible above the hedge is a 1929 Austin 7 Special - an ideal car in which to tour the island and take in the beautiful vistas that Arran has to offer.

The Douglas Hotel on the Isle of Arran is exhibiting this edition and others in the Arran series and are available to buy ‘off the wall’ . 

THE PRINT

This signed print is one of a limited edition. It’s recorded on Hahnemühle stock via a large format mimeograph and generally referred to as Giclée prints of premium quality. The paper is white 100% a-cellulose with a distinct textured surface and the premium matt inkjet coating more than meets the highest industry standards vis-à-vis density, colour gamut, colour graduation and image sharpness, while preserving the extraordinary touch and feel of genuine art paper. The editions depicted on Iconic Reserve are not representative of scale and solely for the purpose of suggestive display.

£175

Signed limited edition
1 of 100, 420mm x 597mm
Recorded on Hahnemühle
The Arran Collection